Sunday, August 3, 2008

The baptism of U`i

We first met U`i at our Valentine's dinner at Bucca di Beppo. One of our minichurch followers brought his cousin along and I didn't get a chance to really talk to her since we were at two long tables and she was squashed in the corner. Our minichurch follower kind of drifted away but out of nowhere, his cousin starts showing up to minichurch. It's only been a few months? but it feels like we've known her forever. Leilani kept telling me about some girl who is like our "fly-girl" Chrystie friend but apparently loves to shop as much as Leilani does. A combination of Chrystie and Leilani? I thought "I really have to meet this girl." And, she has become one of our favoritest people (honest, Scott and I both said it this past weekend). She was there with her two adorable kids, Koko and Kamaha`o, at the Kaneohe trash pick-up day this past weekend (read about it in Scott's blog). The week before we had baptism at our church. In the small church I grew up, we had baptism after church at the beach. I was baptized at Spencer Beach Park in the Big Island. But, with such a large church, Hope Chapel just has a small baptism pool and they really just have it open for baptism all weekend. Some people just feel compelled and jump up there, church clothes and all.

U`i seemed to know she wanted to get baptized because she let us all know beforehand, but, that girl still went all stylish. She walked up looking all professional in her beautiful black dress. I was scared she was going to poke holes in the bottom of the pool with her high heels but she took them off at the last second. Oh, that would have been something if she had kept them on. Scott, Carl, and Lisa were already in the pool but Jasen got in too as her minichurch shepherd. So, the pool was looking a little crowded but it was full of love. It was so wonderful and we're so excited for her as she is making huge changes in her life.

(Pastor Scott, U`i, and Jasen)

Hope Chapel Baptism 064

Don't mind the stage lighting, Jasen is standing in the shadow.

Hope Chapel Baptism 049

Hope Chapel Baptism 061

Hope Chapel Baptism 059


"I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." (Matt 3:11)

As a funny side story, there were a lot of baptisms that morning so Scott was in the water and I stuck around taking pictures. When service was done, he climbed out of the pool and was talking story with me and Jasen when this woman came up and asked where the prayer team was. Usually there are people who stay on the stage after service for anyone who needs prayer. The woman said she had a friend who needed prayer. Scott responded "oh, quick, run outside, you should be able to catch Auntie Patience." The woman ran off and Scott turned around to my questioning stare. "You know, Pastor Scott, I think it's alright if you prayed for them. I mean, you could have the volunteers come back in and pray, but it might be okay if you did too." He laughed when I pointed it out. That's why I love him so much, he can laugh at a lot of things.

3 comments:

Scott Sunaoka August 3, 2008 at 9:02 PM  

hooray for ui! baptisms are one of the most special moments for a christian. i know i can still remember when and where i got baptized. i'm stoked that i got to be a part of ui's special day.

Joy August 4, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

I'm glad she is still coming to church. And she got baptized, that is so awesome. I sat next to her at the valentine's dinner and we talked all night long. I hadn't seen her since and wondered if she still came. I really liked her. I'm glad she got plugged into a good minichurch.

chubbs August 4, 2008 at 12:58 PM  

yay u'i! she's been an awesome addition to our minichurch :)

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP