Thursday, September 18, 2008

Manoa raindrops falling on my head

Be careful, if you open the door and say "hey keao, what do you want to do?" I'm most likely going to jump on that opportunity and involuntarily sign you up for a beautiful hike through a hot and muggy forest. With Scott being 55% complete with his trip away in Japan, Abbey has been offering to keep me company while he's gone. Hah, little did she know what she was signing up for. I think she partly expected leisurely hours spent window-shopping or friendly girl talk over coffee (I hate coffee)...nope, she asked...and I said " all right, let's ZUMBA!!!"

So Monday we went to the latin music inspired exercise class "ZUMBA" (you have to shout it everytime you say it) at hope chapel. We managed to survive and Abbey even attended on Wednesday....hey, hey I see a future ZUMBA instructor. Today, I took Abbey and Joy(see her blog for more pictures and her side of the story) to the other side of the island to my favorite hike on the whole island, the Manoa Falls Hike. When I went to UH, I used to go up and do this hike on just a whim any time I wanted to see some beautiful natural wonders. I convinced them it was an easy hike...which wasn't a total lie, it is considered a beginner level hike. It starts with a beautiful open field in the beginning, then it leads you through the forest, you wind through a bamboo grove, before you finally end up near a tall waterfall emptying into a placid pool of water. See, *sigh* doesn't it sound dreamy.

I agreed to drive because the only downfall is that it is not the most safest of places to drive your car. I was willing to risk my ride. It was definitely a muggy day, it was hot and humid. I remember I used to run this trail in college for exercise...I am definitely not in that kind of shape. Luckily, we took a lot of photo and "oooh" and "aaah"-breaks.

(just the beginning of a bit of stairs and climbing)

Just a minute fraction of the stairs we had to climb

a stream flows beneath

(the real waterfall is much taller but this one is just as cool)

Um, small preview of the Manoa falls

I caught them unawares

(this one is not focused well but the light is so pretty)

Lovely models taking a break from the hike

(my favorite picture of the day...a bamboo heaven!!!)

Joy in a bamboo heaven

(They were such good troopers...they even sat on wet mossy rocks for me. Thanks girlies!)

Hike up to Manoa Falls

I met Abbey in my couples minichurch. We've met so many cool new couples. Kelli started a tradition of preparing a dinner for us so we can fellowship before minichurch and now we've all started to chip in as we jump in on the trend. My friend, Leilani, and her minichurch have wonderful traditions as well. But, besides just hanging out, they have moved into doing something with more purpose. Inspired by the amazing acts of kindness we saw in this movie called "Lord, Save Us From Your People," their minichurch was moved to mend the problems we walk by sometimes in our daily lives. They are creating and organizing a benefit dinner with a silent auction, and ALL of the proceeds are going to the River of Life Mission. They've created a website with more info (www.hopechapel.com/livingthroughfaith). Please check out information on how to purchase tickets and donate services/gifts for the silent auction. And send the link to friends and family!!! I'm so amazed at their passion and determination to create change.

4 comments:

Joy September 19, 2008 at 2:27 AM  

You got some awesome shots. I tell you I love looking at your pictures. Thank you again for inviting me. It was so much fun. We'll have to do it again soon.

Scott Sunaoka September 19, 2008 at 6:10 AM  

nice pics keao! i'm glad you're doing fun stuff without me. we shoud do this hike when i get home. i have never done it before.

Anonymous September 19, 2008 at 8:56 AM  

Keao I love your photography- even though I look pretty bad! :) I'm so glad we did the hike- it was awesome, thanks again! PS I hate coffee too! so that wouldn't have been my choice- maybe sipping tea :)

keao September 20, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

oh shush Abby, I won't hear of suh nonsense. You and joy look beautiful.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP